Tuesday 20 March 2007

I think I've been Englified

Today, I experienced the weirdest thing - I didn't feel like eating rice.

For a Filipino, this is almost an impossibility. Case in point: I have a Filipino friend who has been living in the UK for almost 7 years and she still eats rice everyday. She's never had a Sunday Roast (which is a shame, really - something I intend to rectify sharphish!) and pretty much eats Pinoy food everyday.


I, on the other hand, have the best of both worlds. I enjoy a regular helping of Filipino cuisine, but at the same time, I also eat Mexican, Italian, Swedish, Spanish and of course, British food on a regular basis. My husband and I love good food and eating out is one of our passions.


But no matter what exotic cuisine I may pop into my big gob, I still manage to squeeze freshly boiled rice (the white one - you know, the one that's bad for you!) into my regular diet.


However, in recent days, my desire to eat rice has been laclustre at best. I've started craving for potatoes. In all shapes and kinds. Chips, crisps, boiled, fried, oven baked, roasted, mashed...Even the other half is starting to wonder, when one evening, he suggested we have
Kare Kare. And for the first time in my 30+ years on God's good earth, I didn't feel like Filipino food, or any food that you ate rice with for that matter.

I told him I wanted a chip butty. He almost fainted. Is there something wrong with me?