Sunday 26 August 2007

A Weekend With The Kids

I've been spending the last of the Bank Holiday weekend in Northampton with my friend, Joy, her partner and kids. It's a long drive from Manchester where I live, but I wanted to make the trip as we don't see each other very often. The weather has been glorious, and the local park we went to spend the afternoon was choc-a-block with families picnicking, screaming children and the strong smell of barbecued food was making me hungry.

Over the weekend, I've had the opportunity to do a bit of babysitting. Oh my goodness, it is totally shattering! The constant running around, telling off, trying to appease a moody kid...I don't know how millions and billions of parents all over the world do it. From tantrums to tucking into bed, every activity is a battle needing to be won.

In all the chaos, my friend eased in her role of mother as if it's the most natural thing in the world. And I really admire her, and mothers like her for such patience...and love.

I honestly don't know how I would cope. Being so used to a life without children to look after, the concept of looking after such precious souls is alien to me. And yet when I do the occasional babysitting duties for friends and see how precocious, full of wonder and innocent children are, I get a glimpse of what mothers must feel for their kids.

I may have the freedom of being able to do what I want, when I want, but I'm only too acutely aware that I'm missing out on a whole other world my friend Joy is fortunate enough to live in.

No comments: