Monday 4 June 2007

It's My Way Or The Highway

Sometimes, I really think I am the cow from hell. While you probably will not come up with the same conclusion when you see just how angelic my features are (*cough*), if you knew the things that go around my head, you'll probably agree with me.

On Sunday, the other half kindly volunteered to mow our back garden. Yippee, I say to myself, at least I don't have to deal with that. Now I can concentrate on other things, like slobbing away in front of the telly, while His Royal Highness slaves away with the Flymo.

But as I sat down to watch the Coronation Street omnibus, I couldn't relax. My mind and my body were being drawn to the back garden. I tried to resist it for all of two minutes, and as I headed out of the house, I couldn't help but sigh - it looked like a 6-year old was let loose in my backyard. It was like a disaster at the hairdressers!

When HRH finally 'finished' the job, I thanked him for his efforts, but deep inside, I was itching to get the mower and strimmer to do the job all over again! Call me an ungrateful so-and-so, but there's a certain way I like things done. And if someone (and this is not just HRH) can't do it in the way I'd like to have something done, I'd rather do it myself, thank you very much!

Am I mean? Am I ungrateful? I can't help it sometimes, it's just the way I am. Because even in the most simple of things, I want things done well. An OK job is just not good enough.

Mohammed Ali once said: 'If I were a garbage man, I want to be the best garbage man there is.' - or something to that effect. I think the same principle should hold true to everyone.

Then again, maybe that's me expecting too much.

PS. And to clarify (before HRH gives me the cold shoulder), the other half is great with washing up and DIY. So see, he does have some redeeming factors.

No comments: